The post Kenny Alexander, ex-GVC Execs Hit With “Serious Charges” Over Turkey Bribery Case appeared first on Vegas Slots Online News.
CPS charges execs
England and Wales’ Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) has charged ex-GVC Holdings executives including Kenny Alexander with bribery offences related to historic sportsbook violations.
The CPS on Thursday charged Kenny, ex-GVC execs Lee Feldman, Richard Cooper, and James Humberstone with Conspiracy to Defraud and Conspiracy to Bribe.
shares drop to “session lows”
News of the UK’s indictment of ex-Ladbrokes CEO Kenny and ten other former GVC execs saw shares drop to “session lows” on the London Stock Exchange for the firm that rebranded to Entain in 2020.
Entain had in 2023 covered itself from prosecution over historic GVC deals involving its former Turkish subsidiary Sportingbet by agreeing a £615m ($827m) settlement with the CPS. Kenny and the former execs, however, remained liable for prosecution and under investigation by His Majesty’s Revenue and Customs (HMRC).
HMRC’s Fraud Investigation Service Director Richard Las on Thursday said the investigation had been “complex and international” and that the resulting charges against Kenny and others were “serious.”
Execs hit with multiple charges
CPS Chief Crown Prosecutor Hannah von Dadelszen said her office had authorized the prosecution of Kenny and ten others for seven offences.
According to Reuters, von Dadelszen stated the offenses were linked to “bribery, conspiracy to defraud, fraudulent trading, cheating the public revenue, evasion of income tax, acting as a director of a company when undischarged bankrupt and perverting the course of justice.”
The head prosecutor confirmed the offences were in relation to GVC’s dealings in Turkey from 2011 to 2018 and that Alexander, Feldman and the others charged are scheduled to appear at London’s Westminster Magistrates’ Court on October 6.
the defendants had “a right to a fair trial”
The CPS also warned that while criminal proceedings against the ex-GVC execs were active, the defendants had “a right to a fair trial.”
“It is extremely important,” stated von Dadelszen, “that there should be no reporting, commentary or sharing of information online which could in any way prejudice these proceedings.”
The CPS’ call for diligent reporting ironically echoes the claim Kenny and Feldman filed against the UK Gambling Commission in November. The pair’s suit accused the UKGC of sharing private information relating to the Turkey business without their consent.
Entain washes hands
Having already paid its penalty and off the hook for Turkey, Entain nevertheless issued a statement to reinforce the point. A spokesperson for the UK iGaming giant stated the CPS didn’t charge the firm with any offence, and that Kenny and the others charged are no longer “employed by the Company or its group.”
Entain ended stating it had no further comment to make on the case, which it said was subject to “ongoing criminal proceedings and reporting restrictions.”
The post Kenny Alexander, ex-GVC Execs Hit With “Serious Charges” Over Turkey Bribery Case appeared first on Vegas Slots Online News.